Sunday, October 14, 2007

Would you hit your doctor?

I went in for a check-up the other day, and declined a rectum prostrate exam. I told my doc I would await the PSA test results. But I never would have dreamed of hitting him.

Not so in Scotland. Their health workforce is getting assaulted--literally--at a rate of six incidents per day across Edinburgh and The Lothians. Last year in the same region there were 2335 incidents of physical abuse, attempted assault, or verbal abuse of staff. That was up 136 from the year before. This kind of report is not good for recruiting. Read more here.

Friends, welcome to the world of socialized med--uh, universal health care. When anyone can walk in and demand care, every doctor's office will need an armed security guard.

Here is how a blogger responded:
"These figures will be even higher over the next period. The problem is that there are too many undesirables at loose in society. Don't mock, but the problem will become so great and grave that mandatory sterilization and culling of anti-social individuals will become a reality. It's not prisons we need, it's cages."

There is no easy answer for the problems we face in our culture. Universal Health Care, I fear, will shift too much of our economy under government control.

5 comments:

Kimberly Davis said...

I think it's a pretty weak argument to say that socialized medicine will lead to more assaults on health care workers. The correlation seems pretty sketchy, at best. I wonder how many health workers are assaulted in the United States?

Tabitha said...

Good grief. Are these problems being caused because people are becoming angry if they don't get health care? I read the article but couldn't necessarily decipher a cause for these assaults.

Amber Roessner said...

You know there are other socialized systems in the U.S. (i.e. schools, post offices, libraries, fire departments). So far the fire department has managed to thrive without security guard; I don't see why medicine would be any different. I haven't heard of these problems in other areas where socialized medicine is the norm (like Canada or France). Like Kim, I think that it's a pretty weak correlation.

T Guy Echols said...

Maybe it is the kilts.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the Scottish are just tired of their doctors' lies. Doctors are necessary, but they don't always lead us on a path that is best for us financially or health wise, which poses a dilemma. So the idea of people assaulting their doctors is not too hard for me to wrap my mind around.