Thursday, December 13, 2007

Signing off of my beat....for now

As I post my last blog for our 8350 class, I will never read newspapers the same again. Covering the "workforce" beat and watching my classmates cover their beat has sensitized me to the enormous amount of health-related material in the media today and the need for excellent coverage.

One thing is really clear to me after this semester--there is a worldwide shortage of healthcare professionals. Little Johnny and his sister Suzie need to be urged to consider a career in healthcare and get as much education as they possibly can. That will require a strong public awareness campaign, new scholarships and incentives, and more medical and nursing schools.

Those of us in the media can help this effort too--by writing about the need, and bringing the issue front and center before our readers. That means more journalists who know how to write about it--accurately--and editors who see the need for strong placement of these articles.

All of us who had the privilege to sit under Professor Thomas and Coach Kim Davis and our numerous guest speakers this Fall owe them a debt of gratitude for their investment in our lives and careers.

No comments: